Location/Base: Fingal, Ont

                    Also see- land bombing ranges Dutton, Melbourne, Frome and Tempo

                    -200 yard turret firing range on the Lake Road near Port Stanely

                    -Marine section at Port Stanly

                    -lake bombing and gunnery ranges that occupied approx 112 square                    miles of Lake Eire

 

Years in Use:  -‘ 65 -transferred admin and control of site to Province of Ontario

 

Units:         No 4 Bombing and Gunnery School– 25 Nov ’40 to 17 Feb ’45

                     No 9 Surplus Equipment Holding Unit -Apr ’45-Apr ’46

                     -storage facility post war RCAF until ‘ 65

 

Aircraft Types: No 4 B&GS- Anson, Battle, Nomad, Bolingbroke, Lysander

 

Commanding Officers:

  • W/C W.D. Van Vliet Nov ’40-Oct ’41
  • W/C A.J. Kennedy Oct ’41-May ’42
  • W/C D.D. Findlay May ’42-Jan ’43
  • G/C J.G. Kerr Jan ’43-May ’44
  • W/C W.H. Swetman DSO, DFC; May ’44-Nov ’44
  • W/C R.E. Morrow DFC; Nov ’44-Feb ’45

Financial Impact:

Date/Reason for Closure/Current Status:

  • now known as Fingal Wildlife Management Area

Relevant links:

Station Magazine: Fingal Observer

            -These issues courtesy of the Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum

  • March 1942
    • Linked file to be added soon
  • September 1942
    • Linked file to be added soon
  • February 1943
    • Linked file to be added soon
  • April 1943
    • Linked file to be added soon
  • November 1943
    • Linked file to be added soon
  • Xmas 1943
    • Linked file to be added soon
  • March 1944
    • Linked file to be added soon
  • April 1944
    • Linked file to be added soon
  • May 1944
    • Linked file to be added soon
RCAF Aerodrome Fingal, Ontario. Image from the RCAF Pilots Manual of Aerodromes and Seaplane Bases circa 1942.