Base / Station: Bagotville

Period of Information: 1942 – 1945, 1975 – 1994

Integral Units:

  • No. 1 Operational Training Unit
  • No. 126 (F) Squadron (Detachment from Dartmouth, NS)
  • No. 130 (F) Squadron
  • No. 129 (F) Squadron
  • No. 6 FTTU
  • No. 425 Squadron
  • No. 433 Squadron
  • No. 434 Squadron

Remote Units:

Unit Duties / Information:

No. 1 OTU was opened at Bagotville July 20, 1942. This unit was used to give graduates of Service Flying Schools even more advanced training – in many cases giving them their first flights on the aircraft that they would be flying overseas or on convoy and anti- submarine operations here in Canada.

During the above mentioned period   during the Second World War Bagotville served as the home base for a number of operational home defence squadrons as well as some operational training units.

 No. 126 operated from Bagotville form June 14 to July 31, 1942.

 No. 130 used Bagotville as a base for operations from July 14, 1942 to October 24, 1943.

 No. 129 was based here from October 26 to December 28, 1943.

In 1984 425 Squadron was used as an air defence squadron as a part of NORAD.

 No. 433 and 434 Squadrons were both tactical fighter squadrons in 1984.

Aircraft Flown:

  • No. 1 OTU
    • Bolingbroke,
    • Harvard,
    • Hurricane,
    • Lysander
  • No. 126 – Hurricane
  • No. 130 – Kittyhawk, Hurricane
  • No. 129 – Hurricane
  • No. 425 – CF 18
  • No. 433 – CF 5
  • No. 434 – CF 5

Commanding Officers:

Financial Impact:

Date / Reason for closure:

  • No. 1 OTU was closed January 31, 1945.
  • With the arrival of the CF 18 – the Voodoo and its training units were supplanted. No. 6 FTTU being replaced March 15, 1983 by No. 10 FTTU in Cold Lake, Alberta.
  • No. 434 Squadron was moved to Chatham, NB WHEN DID THIS MOVE TAKE PLACE??
RCAF Aerodrome Sauuenay - Now Bagotville, Quebec. Image from the RCAF Pilots Manual of Aerodromes and Seaplane Bases circa 1942.